Of the 5 ways to join a CS:GO server ...
1) Click the arrow next to your Steam friend on the Windows desktop, then "Join
Game"
2) Lauch CS:GO, click on your friend in the game main menu, then "Join Game"
3) Use the Community Server browser (add server to favourites, use Friends tab,
find server manually)
4) Direct connect (bring up the console, then connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxxx
method)
5) Steam URI handler (steam://connect/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxxx method in a chat
window)

... has anyone in this mailing list managed to host a server which allows
clients to connect using ALL of these methods?

For me, the direct connect method is the only way which has consistently always
worked for everyone trying to join, but this is effort for n00bs (also there
are issues with bringing up the console which don't exist in any other Source
game). The Steam URI method, as we have commented on before, leads to
client-side performance issues and using the Community server browser basically
defeats the purpose of having a pretty re-vamped front-end when all a player
wants to do is join the server that his/her friend is in.

So realistically, I want people to be able to join reliably using methods 1 &
2, but it's extremely hit-and-miss depending on the player. Perhaps it's an
issue with my launch .bat (it's fairly standard and I'm using net_public_adr
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, not ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in the startup line).

Does anyone have an answer to this, or is this another one of CS:GO's many
perks? It's annoying the hell out of me.