Notably also in the US certain carriers work with Google Voice. I know I
can use my phone number via sprint but they have a partnership with Google
Voice.

I haven't tried it yet but that seems like it could also provide issue for
some people.

There needs to be a burner number protection. Valve is right to do this but
it might need to be a bit more fleshed out.