On 5/10/2019 2:45 AM, Calvin J wrote:

I don't think that it makes sense to make this about me, or you, or our own companies. I believe that it is better to focus on the thread topic.
My first post in this thread focused on nothing but the topic, your first post in this thread focused on me.

I responded to the substance of the comments you made and what the thread-starter said. I did not involve you personally. That is the way that civil discussions should work.

I mean, what they're doing is the definition of anycasting. I'm not sure what industry standard you think disagrees with it. They have setup multiple vultr vms/servers running bgp and have them routed to a specific endpoints depending on which IP the source requests. (https://bgp.he.net/net/92.119.148.0/24#_dns) Anycast is a network addressing and routing methodology in which a single destination address has multiple routing paths to two or more endpoint destinations. Routers will select the desired path on the basis of number of hops, distance, lowest cost, latency measurements or based on the least congested route.

If you read that summary and the article, and you look at how the term is being used here, you'll get a better sense of what I mean. Real game server traffic has to be forwarded to a central point, and that's not the same as anycasting, even though the term is being used to mean that.

This was an aside, because propagating the imprecise use of this term encourages conflating the two. It's not directly relevant to the matter of whether faking server responses is a reasonable activity and whether Valve can or should put a stop to it.

You're creating this weird either/or situation. They could be using vultr's anycast for multiple reasons. Eg. DDoS Mitigation *and* Routing their own IP block for reliability/ease of movement between providers *and *because it gives them an added benefit with the server browser latency.

You are speaking broadly about why someone might use their own IP space and advertise a prefix at multiple PoPs. Doing that sort of thing is fairly normal -- it can be called running a distributed network, or operating a backbone -- and it has its pros and cons (for game servers on a small scale, mostly cons, but that's another discussion). Distributed, proxied responses to queries are being used here on top of the routing behavior (and are dependent upon it as a prerequisite). That technique is what is unusual. The reasons that have been presented for these fake responses:

- For DDoS mitigation. This is being done by the server operators. This is the justification that I refuted. - In order to deceive clients by making the server look as though it is lower-latency than it really is or is online when it isn't. This is the OP's area of concern.

For what it's worth I covered this in short in my original response. The only time Valve cares about issues like this is when they effect their profits. This has been shown time and time again, CS1.6 has had fake player servers for a decade, CS:S had servers that redirected you when you join, had fake players, TF2 has fake players/idle bots. But the moment CSGO got skin addons they nuked it, then people came up with a workaround by swapping tokens and they couldn't be asked to care about it. Do you think they're going to tackle exploitative use of bgp?

They /could /do something, but I don't expect much.

The main argument that I currently see for Valve taking action is that this activity degrades the client experience. But, Valve has chosen not to continue campaigns against other client-experience-degrading activities such as the ones you listed. They have generally taken initial steps to stop them (releasing updates that break the ability to perform the activity, for instance) but have limited follow-up.

-John