Marc Funaro wrote:
> http://nyslittreedata.advantex.net/new/default/default.htm

> I have renamed my div/ids and cleaned up a bunch of naming
> conventions, and I'm using a little javascript called "Nifty Corners"
>  to round out the boxes where I wanted to.  (yes, I cheated... So
> punch me later ;)

No problems with javascript-generated corners here :-)
You should however test and trim so it's looking alright if javascript
isn't supported.

> This latest version looks fine as long as there's enough content in
> the white area in the middle, but as you can see, in Firefox, without
>  enough content, the left column and main column do not extend down
> to the footer. However, in IE 6, they do... Strange.

I used 'min-height' and an 'IE min-height' hack in my example-CSS. And,
yes, it is an acceptable method.

I also used 'display: table' on the main container for the two columns -
which will make it expand like a table does even with a set 'height'.
IE6 doesn't understand that property, but it doesn't matter since IE6
will expand height anyway because of a bug. A bit worse with IE7, which
doesn't understand any of it either way.

Your latest addition of 'min-height' does not take the rounded corners
into account. See 'CSS suggestions' below.

> Is this a case where I need to use the technique found at
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fauxcolumns/ ...?  And if so,
> should I create an image to be applied to the BODY to fill in behind
> everything?

That is one option - if the 'min-height' solution doesn't work properly.

> Suggestions with this latest one are welcome -- am I closer to "a
> good way of doing it" now than I was earlier? (I hope so!)

Much closer, but you've forgotten to take care of source-code quality.
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fnyslittreedata.advantex.net%2Fnew%2Fdefault%2Fdefault.htm>
Good source-code will not necessarily make it render better/different in
any graphical browser, but it will prevent 'tag-soup' related problems
and ease maintenance.

The CSS validator can't get through to your stylesheet because of errors
in the source-code, so at least get those UPPERCASE turned into
lowercase...
<link href="Default.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
...will work better - and close the link-element properly for XHTML.

Especially those <li class="leaf"> looks suspicious, as <li> can't be
used outside <ul> or <ol>. You're using divs as sub-containers there,
and there shouldn't be the need for a single div inside #LeftNav, IMO.
Use proper unordered lists, and style them to look identical to what
you've got now.

Use proper <h1> - <h5> and <p> for headlines and paragraphs, and style
them to taste. That will prevent even more "divitis" and make that
source-code work even without CSS.

'Separation of content and style', that you mentioned earlier, means
that the page should deliver 100% - without a single style.
At the moment it's pretty weak without CSS applied.
Example: <div id="PageTitle"> looks like a <h1> or a <h2> to me, but not
without CSS.

---------

CSS suggestions:

Add...
html {font-size: 100%;}
...to avoid the 'em font-resizing bug'[1] in IE/win'.

Move 'min-height:892px;' from #MainContent to #ContentText, so those
bottom-corners get pushed down to where they belong.

If you want IE6 to simulate 'min-height' also, then add something like...

* html #ContentText {height: 892px;}

(let me know if you want to support IE/Mac, as that last style will
disturb that browser.)

---------

Comment:

Since you use an XHTML doctype, you should also see to that it is
working when served as XHTML[2]. Few "XHTML" pages on the web do, and
your isn't working either :-)
Something for another day, maybe?
After all; IE/win won't support XHTML properly for at least a year or two.

regards
        Georg

[1]http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_13.html
[2]http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_1_06_03.xhtml