Having development locked/frozen at IE6 level because "it has to look
the same", definitely is a barrier that should be removed now that we
write 2009.
What kind of arguments do you think might have a chance to work?

My stand has for a long time been that only visual designers (and other
crazy animals) compare design-details across browser-land. The web isn't
rigid, and no wish for "print on web" can make it so. It is therefore a
complete waste of resources to aim for that "pixel-perfect look across
the board".
Resources are better spent on improving overall quality, getting the
content and intended functionality through to as many end-users as
possible, and making sure one stays ahead of the crowd.

Some have serious problems swallowing my argument, but as the current
financial situation takes hold it seems to sink down a little easier.

A clip from my response to someone who asked for advice on the same
issue a week ago:

" I do not see the point in trying to make inferior browsers like IE7/6
and older render everything the same as the good browsers. If something
looks "good enough" in an old browser, then it _is_ "good enough".
Visitors who can compare between browsers do not need any help from me,
since they already know how to switch between browsers.

So my advice is to launch your sites/designs when they appear as
intended in the good browsers, and just make sure they are not
completely inaccessible or unusable or appear too broken in IE7/6.
Adjust things later - when you get around to it, and don't mention it
anywhere. "

That's my stand on "reasonable degree of visual perfection" in IE.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no