Erika Meyer wrote:
James Leslie wrote:
I'd like to hear from one of these IT people who have held back our
entire industry, and wasted everyone's money for so much time now.
Exactly how long are you going to leave it before migrating this c...@ppy
IE6-only application you've forced on everyone? Another month? A year? A
decade? Are you ever going to let the rest of us move on?
-------------------------------

I was recently employed by a company that primarily ran IE6; a place that blocked employees from installing/upgrading their own software. The IT supervisor in meetings, (due to a new CMS) was telling people "Firefox is now our recommended browser."

I said to her, "You say that Firefox is the recommended browser, but a lot of people don't have access to that browser, and most are still only running IE6. Who is in charge of making software upgrades?"

"I am," she replied.

"So is there any particular reason IE6 is still the only browser on people's machines?"

"No really," she replied.

So there's one voice for you.

Here's another voice for you (the System Architect for my employer, the final authority when it comes to what software is allowed to run on corporate systems) when informed by some on the web team that they needed to be able to test websites in Firefox: "Firefox may only be used for testing. _You will have problems browsing websites with it._"

Another reason for sticking with only one standard web browser: many corporations reduce their help desk load and costs by only supporting one version of any piece of software. For example, the many that used to have Word and Wordperfect but have forced everyone to use Word. If they have strong business reasons requiring the use of IE6, why should they add to their desktop support costs by putting another browser on the desktop?

I saw a study somewhere (I think Google did it? or someone else?) that analyzed actual web pages for use of CSS, HTML, etc. The old, non-cutting edge stuff like tables for layout is by far still the most common way of doing things ...

--
David
gn...@hawaii.rr.com