Joseph Sims wrote:
[...] learning new things is great, but it seems silly for me to teach myself how to break my code for IE6 when in a couple years it might be a pointless knowledge to have.

1: hope you didn't mean that literally, but anyway: don't "break your
code for IE6". Keep your code intact for more standard compliant
browsers, and feed corrections / overriding styles (only) to IE6. Choose
a suitable separation-strategy, and make sure it doesn't backfire and
affect new browsers.

2: I'm not clairvoyant but I think it may take more than a couple of
years before we can forget about IE6. Besides: IE7 isn't all that much
better, and that version may also last a while.

3: learning how to isolate an old browser and debug / work around its
weak spots, will always be useful.
Of course: IE6 is now in a class of its own, but all browsers we regard
as "in the lead" today will be obsolete and create problems for us in a
couple of years time. For various reasons a significant number will
still hang around a few years longer than we'd like, and we can't just
ignore them completely - at least not commercially.

So, the answers I'm looking for are, where should I go to learn howe to get my site right in IE6?

These are good places to start...
<http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html>
<http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html>
 (same sites as David just presented.)