On May 3, 2009, at 3:44 AM, david wrote:

>>> I go to a website fairly regularly and their styles are horrible.
>>> It's just too painful for me to look at anymore. Is there away for
>>> me to create a Stylesheet for it and have my browser automatically
>>> override there styles? I know to many of you this might sound
>>> horrible but don't worry no designers feelings will get hurt...
>>> I'm sure that no designers were used in making the site.
>>
>> I go to lots of those. No time to create a user style sheet for each.
>> My fast and dirty method makes the hideous and grotesque instantly
>> readable, functional, and usable:
>> Opera browser>view>style>user mode.
>
> Firefox with Web Developer Toolbar: Ctrl-Shift-L turns off all
> stylesheets.

Firefox without any add-on: View menu > Page Style > No style.

Safari also has such an option. Turn on the debug menu, the option is:
Develop menu > disable styles

This is an interesting experiment:
http://lab.arc90.com/2009/03/readability.php
Because face it, for the average user, user stylesheet are hard, very
hard.

To keep the whole thing relatively on topic:

1. the ability to disable page styling is interesting to analyse how
muchyour page is structurally sound (does the page depends on page
styling/css to make sense ?).

2. Question: how much do you think about the possibility of userstyles
interfering with your stylesheets when you develop a site ?

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/