On Wed, 20 Dec 2023, Greg Troxel wrote:

>   - beware that 5->10 is almost certainly not going to work.   I have
>     generally been doing N->N+1 on most machines, but had occasion to do
>     5->9.  I found that the 9 kernel would not boot.   I then tried 7,

Does this mean the /netbsd 9 kernel itself wouldn't boot (never got to
attempting /sbin/init)?
Or that that /netbsd 9 kernel couldn't run NetBSD 7 /sbin/init and
/etc/rc, etc?
Or that the /netbsd 9 kernel couldn't run the NetBSD 9 /sbin/init etc,
maybe due to some left over NetBSD 5 configs or executables? If so, how
did you recover?

>     and 5->7 worked, and 7->9 worked.   The downside is just boot
>     netbsd.ok, so it's not that bad, but I would go to 7 first, and then
>     to 9 or 10.

I have a 7.0.2 system to update so thank you for your suggestions here.
(I usually just extract the tar sets in place once I confirm the kernel
boots, and postinstall and etcupdate.)