On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 4:07 AM <jo...@sdf.org> wrote:

> > Hi I would say to take to hard drive out and use some other computer to
> > install NetBSD 10 on it or use qemu.
> > to use qemu install the drive in a linux machine with the linux boot drive
> > and run "qemu-system-i386 -cpu pentium -m 64 -cdrom
> > NetBSD-10.0rc1-i386.iso -hda /dev/oldlaptopsdisk"
> > where NetBSD-10.0rc1-i386.iso is the netbsd install iso and
> > "/dev/oldlaptopsdisk" is the device to the old laptops drive
> > xu...@sdf.org
> > SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

There are several more things you could do:

1. Install NetBSD 10 onto a CF card. Update the bootloader on the HDD,
then boot with "boot /netbsd10 root=sd0a" or something like that. That
will show you if NetBSD 10 works at all.

2. Update the bootloader, install the NetBSD 10 kernel and
https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-10.0_RC1/i386/installation/miniroot/miniroot.kmod.
Load the miniroot module from the bootloader, and you will have an
installer. You could perhaps use that installer to do the installation
as per #1.

3. Instead of gdt's scripts, there is also sysupgrade from pkgsrc. You
can do "sysupgrade fetch kernel modules", reboot, then do the other
steps.

--
Benny