"Trei, Peter" wrote:

> > Michael Motyka[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> >

> > Tim May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>         [...]
> > >
> > >Further, placing the notes in a simple aluminum foil pouch, or a wallet
> > >with equivalent lining, would cut any detectable signals by maybe 30-50
> > >dB.
> > >

> > Not to mention that if you didn't want your money chirping its presence
> > every time a bad actor pinged it you could just disable the transponder
> > in the money :
> >
> > mechanical pressure or repeated bending
> > high voltage
> > high power RF
> > heat
> >
> > For paper money failure rates will probably be high anyway.
> >

> Perhaps, perhaps not. Remember, the primary app for this is
> anti-counterfeiting.
>
> "Sir: ALL your $20 bills are failing authentication. Please wait
> while I call Security."
>
> Peter
I thought of this but I felt that at this point it is no longer cash but
a fixed-denomination smart card. Currently you can exchange a partial
note ( > ~50% ) for a new one. There would have to be a mechanism in
place for failed electronic bills otherwise people might not be very
confident in accepting them. Granted, the inconvenience factor could get
high.

Mike