Tim wrote:

>Everytime I comment on your citations, you go into a snit about how
>"Gramps" is insulting the "whippersnappers."

No, it's all about the condescending tone you take when you use "your many
years of experience" as leverage against anyone who rejects their place in
your pecking order.

Whether you choose to admit it or not, you're incredibly easygoing on people
here who kiss your ass, flatter you, and never dare contradict you out of a
fear of retribution. Like the example from a few months ago when you related
how somebody asked you if it would be okay to post certain kinds of articles
to the group. Why does this please you--don't you want your friends and
compatriots to have a fucking backbone? You think you're the only one here
who gets to have a spine? Which isn't to say that if the group is set up a
certain way, it's right to be inconsiderate of what most people want and
expect: for instance, I stopped posting links to news articles when it was
made plain to me that most people found it an annoyance. But it wasn't because
anyone bullied me "into line".

If, when I came here, I had made the deliberate choice to make an effort at
"getting along" by emphasizing our similarities instead of differences, I dare
say the motivation to dissect-and-destroy every last comment I ever make would
be nonexistent.

But then, how interesting would that be.

>For all I know, in Real Life you're older than me, or you're some guy
>working a guard job at Lockheed. Or both.

Ironically enough--but not that it matters--I haven't manufactured any of the
details about myself I've given here. I suppose the prudent thing to do would
be to encourage people to assume I'm a man (as if I'd have to do anything
besides take a neutral nym!) and keep you all looking for the old Lockheed
fart, etc. But I suppose it must the grandiosity or vanity or something that
compels me to vent under the guise of myself. Which is a pretty funny way to
put it actually, since what I say here is far more "real" than what most
people see of me in the "real world" in a lifetime. Which is probably part of
the point anyway. Not that I've given anyone the slightest reason to believe
a word of it, but there it is.

Yeah yeah, I know--"go tell it to Oprah".

>Or you may be the grad student at Hoboken State College you appear to be.

A slur, eh? Not bad. I suspect you're being a little disingenuous though.
(If I really were at Hoboken, where's the sting in it?) Ah well, think what you
want--I don't have anything to prove. Or shouldn't, anyway.

> Whatever, I know that your main method of argument is either a bunch of "Bah"
> comments followed with cites apropos of nothing you've dug up. Such as your
> refutation of category theory by digging up some of the usual computer vision
> and scene analysis junk that's been going around for 40 years.

I did no such thing! You asked what happened to general systems theory and
expressed a negative view of OR that, though entirely warranted thirty years
ago, isn't true of what some people are doing today. So I gave a couple of
cites to papers that show how these concepts have been evolving, I thought you
might enjoy them. Entirely tangential to the main point of your post, but it's
new and it's not junk, damn it. If it's not interesting to you, fine-- but
there certainly wasn't any criticism of anything related to you somehow hidden
in it.

>I stand by my comment that shielding a thread in a $100 bill, for
>example, is vastly easier than detecting it. Your cites about WiFi
>frequencies and 3 meter ranges and suchlike don't mean much.

No of course not, since they were only meant to give a sense of the volume of
related research people are doing--hence my only point that 20 years seems a
little generous.

~~Faustine.

***

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.

- --Thomas Paine