On Wednesday, April 10, 2002, at 11:22  AM, Trei, Peter wrote:
> The argument against shielding is that it is obnoxious that I
> (or anyone) should have to go even further than I already do to
> maintain even a fraction of the privacy which was naturally available to
> every person 150 years ago.

Not to sound too much like Brin, but there was actually very _little_
privacy 150 years ago. Everyone knew who was buying what. Small towns
and small neighborhoods. But I digresss...

Shielding is much easier than you think, unless shielding is outlawed.

> Folding the bill won't make any difference. stacking them might make
> a small difference, if the chips are close enough to detune each other.
> Some transponders (not the mu-tag, AFAIK) include anti-collision
> techniques, so many can be detected simultaneously.

The anticollision features are in the code, not the antennas. Stacking
flat antennas on top of either other is _guaranteed_ to cut the output
of any of the inner antennas (and probably the edge antennas) by many,
many dB.

--Tim May
"A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a
simple system that worked ...A complex system designed from scratch
never  works and cannot be patched up to make it work. You have to start
over,  beginning with a working simple system." -- Grady Booch