30 seconds in a microwave on high, stir and rotate tray...

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Motyka [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 8:24 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Detectable cash notes a fantasy

Tim May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>On Tuesday, April 9, 2002, at 10:54  AM, Trei, Peter wrote:
>> Putting RF Tags in cash is one of those ideas with Unintended
>> Consequences.
>> Muggers would love having a way of determining which victims are
>> carrying a
>> wad, as would many salesmen (and JBTs looking to perform a 'civil
>> confiscation' on 'a sum of currency'.)
>
>Physics-wise, it's a jiveass fantasy. No way are there "micro-strips"
>readable from a distance in today's currency, and very likely not in the
>next 20 years. (I don't dispute that a careful lab setup could maybe
>read a note at a few meters, in a properly-shielded environment, without
>any shieding between note and detectors, and with enough time and
>tuning. But a wad of bills, folded, stuffed, and with little time to
>make the detection...an altogether different kettle of fish.)
>
>Further, placing the notes in a simple aluminum foil pouch, or a wallet
>with equivalent lining, would cut any detectable signals by maybe 30-50
>dB.

Or more.

Not to mention that if you didn't want your money chirping its presence
every time a bad actor pinged it you could just disable the transponder
in the money :

mechanical pressure or repeated bending
high voltage
high power RF
heat

For paper money failure rates will probably be high anyway.

>--Tim May

I'm guessing that electronic tracking or outright elimination of cash
would be coupled with a surge in the use of barter and alternative
monies.

Mike