At 01:46 AM 3/28/03 +1200, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>It's a cool toy, but I can't see someone using a $1M e-bomb when a
$1000 Mk.82
>will do the same thing, especially if there's any chance it'll be
captured
>intact by an enemy who can... hmm, there's a thought:

Oh dear!
Peter, these are *free* to the people who make and use them.
As a mil researcher, one would be eager to try out one's new
gizmos in the field.  As would all the deskjockeys who $upported
your project and expect to advance their career$ if it works.

A explosive driven ebomb would act just like a regular bomb
to anyone standing nearby, although all that wire would be
rather strange shrapnel to a naif EOD person.  Iraqis don't
have time to dupe it, and the Russians, Chinese, etc. can
make their own.

Real reason not to give it a try, once you're willing to risk
knocking out civilian TVs and spec-ops radios and phones,
is the *opportunity cost*.  That's one bomb-pod you can't use
for a known reg'lar bomb, and you are after all spending time,
fuel, and life-risk-credits on your sorties.

---
...our claim to be left in the unmolested enjoyment of vast and splendid

possessions, mainly acquired by violence, largely maintained by force,
often seems less reasonable to others than to us." -- Winston Churchill,

January 1914