Hi all
I doubt any of these luxuries would have been provided by the Rumanian guards

________________________________
From: Maurice Linker <link...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2022 3:39:31 PM
To: Mark Auslander <markauslan...@icloud.com>; czernowit...@cornell.edu
<czernowit...@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: [czernowitz-l] Deportation tain stories?

________________________________
From: bounce-127055246-63807...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-127055246-63807...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of Mark Auslander
<markauslan...@icloud.com>
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2022 10:02:08 AM
To: czernowit...@cornell.edu <czernowit...@cornell.edu>
Subject: [czernowitz-l] Deportation tain stories?

Friends,

Might I ask, as terrible as these stories are, if there are any accounts or
memories of what actually took place inside the trains (evidently, cattle cars)
used to transport people from Bukovina into Transnistria in the Fall of 1941?

My cousin Jonathan Pagis (whose father Severin [Dan] Pagis travelled on the
train with his grandparents, my great grandparents Isak and Clara Auslander)
shared a story from a Radautz survivor, that her mother told her and her
sisters to get to the train early (this would have been around 10 October 1941)
to place down clean linens on the floorboards, so the family could travel
comfortably—with no intimations of the horrors to come,

Cousin Dan himself to my knowledge never spoke directly as to what occurred on
board the train heading to Moghilev, although this is the subject of one of his
most famous poems.

We are of course familiar with accounts of other Holocaust trains, some of
which evidently had military snipers on board shooting at escapees. Did
anything like that happen in Bukovina?  I assume no food or water was provided
for those in the trains, which were presumably without heat.

And has the Caile Ferate Romane ever issued an apology for its complicity in
the deporations?

sending warmest regards to all on the list,

Mark

Mark Auslander

 searchable archive of all messages posted to this list.   Beginning in 2021,
archived messages can be found at:
https://www.mail-archive.com/czernowitz-l@list.cornell.edu/

To send mail to the list, address it to
<czernowit...@cornell.edu<mailto:czernowit...@cornell.edu>>.

To remove your address from this e-list follow these
directions<https://it.cornell.edu/lyris/leave-e-lists-lyris>.

To receive assistance for this e-list send an e-mail message to:
owner-czernowit...@list.cornell.edu<mailto:owner-czernowit...@list.cornell.edu>