As a further test, I modified the image again and subtracted another hour
from the time.  I removed the image from darktable, then imported it again
and it showed 03:29:14 PM.  So, it works correctly on my system with Canon
raws.  I looked around and found a Nikon file on my system.  I imported it
and then changed the time by an hour, removed it, and reimported it.  The
time in darktable stayed the same and did not reflect the change.  I dumped
the Nikon file with exiftool and there is a field Date/Time Original which
still has the original time.  I dumped the Canon file and it has the
Date/Time Original field but the value is modified to the time I
specified.  It appears that exiv2 doesn't set the Date/Time Original field
inside Nikon files correctly.

Bill