> Message du 15/01/20 16:22
> De : "Christian"
> A : darktable-user@lists.darktable.org
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [darktable-user] Base curve and white balance issue with DT 3.0
>
> Am 14.01.2020 um 13:35 schrieb Viktors Krasovskis:
>
> > ... Filmic RGB is
> > great for landscapes and architecture where the camera's dynamic range
> > is on it's limits, however Nikon base curve presents give far better
> > results on human portraits on DT 2.6.x by default. What do others think
> > and do they have similar experience?
>
> Hi Victor,
> I'm also struggeling to get good results with filmic. :)
>
> I can't compare with 2.6 but here is my try to convert the test image
> from the dpreview image comparison tool (camera = Nikon D7200):
>
> https://up.picr.de/37672175dj.jpg
>
> base curve=nikon like, color preserve=none.
>
> Message du 15/01/20 07:31
> De : "jys"
> A : "Darktable-users list"
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [darktable-user] Base curve and white balance issue with DT 3.0
>
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2020, at 06:31, Šarūnas wrote:
>
> > I hear what you are saying. I use Olympus cameras since one of their
> > first digital SLR, E-500, and like Olympus's out of camera (OOC) color
> > rendition very much. It would be my preferred starting point while
> > working on RAW.
>
> I'm coming from a similar place, with some reservations... I've always been
> slightly annoyed with the tendency to blow out reds into magenta and turn sky
> a little too cyan, but in general I think Olympus rendering has been pretty
> good, at least for images which benefit from the "punchy" contrast (some
> obviously don't). With the original filmic module, I was able to closely
> match the curve to the camera rending with the help of an IT-8 chart and a
> few beers. The settings were fairly extreme, which somewhat defeated the
> purpose of having a default with nice parametric adjustment available... but
> it was possible.

[... and many others ...]

Hello,

I have been following this thread for some times now, and even the discussions
on github.
If I understand correctly, the main complaint against new filmic module is that
it does not reproduce the settings that the manufacturers want to force one to
use.
A matter of taste, of course, but... for me, jpegs ootb are just forged
pictures, lies.
When I look at a photograph that I shot, I would like to see what I could see
at the time I shot it. Not what a manufacturer or whosoever wants me to see.
I gave up with darktable Nkon basecurves for a long time. At least 5 years for
my D700, for which I could build a profile that let my pictures look more or
less like reality. Miles away from what Mr Nikon ought have allowed me to see.
I was not able to do the same for my D4s, so I use a neutral profile instead.
I would like to understand the way RGB filmic works, and how not to have to
apply it to every single picture.
I could not so far : if I copy the result from a picture to others, it often
leads to awful results. So I have to process each picture at a time. A real
ordeal.
Rgrds,

J.-Luc