On trying to get metadata into my AVIF files, I discovered a few things….

The AVIF files which darktable version 3.4.0 (compiled from source on
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) produces do have EXIF metadata. They do not appear to
have IPTC —I may be wrong on that— nor XMP metadata. (Indeed, the WebP
files which darktable produces also seem to lack IPTC/XMP metadata,
although they do have EXIF metadata).

Exiv2 vesion 0.27.3 cannot read nor write metadata to nor from an AVIF file
—which makes me wonder how the metadata got into the AVIF files which
darktable writes.

Exiftool version  11.86, (library version 11.88, WTDickens?!?), does read,
write, and copy metadata in/out of AVIF files, including, apparently, IPTC,
and XMP metadata, (although I did not actually check on IPTC data yet, it
does copy XMP data for certain). I mention this because I had previously
suggested that ExifTool does not r/w/c metadata to/from AVIF files.

So, thank you, darktable developers, for giving me my EXIF data in my AVIF
(and, of course, WebP) files. Now if I can only find a viewer —other than
Chrome, Chromium, & Firefox—  which can view an AVIF, and also, which can
display its metadata. ;-)

Sincerely,

Karim Hosein
Top Rock Photography