Okay, I compiled gwenview 20.12.2, and, during compilation, it seems that
it uses exiv2, and only recognises FITS, JPEG (JFIF/SPIFF ???), PNG,
SVG,TIFF, & WebP. No indication of AVIF support.

Installed, and found no AVIF support. (& if it did, would not recognise the
metadata).

Will try with  Geeqie per Šarūnas Burdulis.

Sincerely,

Karim Hosein
Top Rock Photography
754.999.1652