Thank you Professor Bangerth for your response! Yes that's exactly what I
am interested in.

I am excited to learn that there are arguably better methods (mixed
methods) to solve shell problems. I am not familiar with those; could you
please kindly provide some pointers for me to start (anything, either
example, code, or paper)?

Best,
Shawn