I am excited to learn that there are arguably better methods (mixed methods) to solve shell problems. I am not familiar with those; could you please kindly provide some pointers for me to start (anything, either example, code, or paper)?

That all depends on what equation exactly you're looking at solving. For the biharmonic equation, you could for example start looking here:

https://scholar.google.co.jp/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=mixed+methods+biharmonic+equation&btnG=
https://scholar.google.co.jp/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=discontinuous+galerkin+biharmonic+equation&btnG=

Beyond that, you'd have to be more specific about what you want to do.

Best
 W.