On 03/25/2018 11:44 AM, Yuxiang Wang wrote:

My current need for shell element is for solid mechanics problem (Mindlin-Reissner plates). A simple example could be that a thick square plate, with all its edges fixed, under a force loading at the center. The dimensions of the plate are around 10x of its thickness; so, as one can note, there is 1) only in-plate stress in this problem, 2) the plate thickness remains constant during the deformation, and 3) there is an approximately linear variation of displacement across the thickness direction.

Do you happen to be aware of any examples in deal.ii, that solves shell problems for solid mechanics application? If not, I can also try to start from scratch; but I figured it'd be nice that if I know someone who did this already and wouldn't need to reinvent the wheels.

I don't know of any that would be publicly available. I know that Baerbel Janssen's diploma thesis was on biharmonic problems (or at least had them as part). You can get it from here but it is in German:
  http://www.csc.kth.se/~barbel/link/en/publications.shtml

I am certain that others have done similar work, but I don't know the details. Of course, we are always grateful to anyone willing to share their codes through the code gallery!

Best
 Wolfgang