On Wed, 4 May 2022, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Gianmarco wrote:
-> I have tried with: 10.3, 11.1, 11.2 and 11.3.
[...]

Sorry for my lack of more particular ideas about what goes wrong.
The fact that the other subscribers to this mailing list are not offering
own ideas might mean that they currently have none.

To the bystanders:
A test with an old BIOS machine and a Debian 11.3 DVD-1 would nevertheless
be helpful. I can currently only test the EFI boot path.

Just tested firmware-11.3.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso on a J1900 system with SATA DVD drive. Boots fine into isolinux in BIOS mode, and into grub in EFI mode. So that would rule out any big problems with the iso.

Some more things that you might check:

- Disable any "Secure boot" or "Verified boot" functionality.

- An EFI system might not boot into BIOS mode unless some "Compatibility mode" ("CSM") has been enabled.

- There are some 64-bit systems where EFI runs in 32-bit mode. To get these booted into 64-bit installer, you need the multi-arch iso from here: https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/multi-arch/iso-cd/debian-11.3.0-amd64-i386-netinst.iso

This is a CD-sized iso with minimal installable software. Once the installer has started, you can put in an amd64 DVD to install software from.

- Maybe your system tries to be smart and refuses to boot when a DVD appears to be a harddisk instead. You could try clearing the first 512 bytes of the iso file ("partition table") and write a new DVD with that.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Anne Bezemer