On Mon, May 09, 2022 at 10:29:45PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> > When the CD is scanned properly using this process, but the DVD fails, then
> > your DVD is bad. Maybe the DVD has bad data on it (corrupted download), or
> > the DVD burner is bad, or the DVD reader is bad.
>
> I agree in principle. But the particular reason for the firmware's refusal
> to consider booting the DVD should be found out.
>
> So i would still be interested in seeing the output of
>
>   xorriso -indev /dev/sr0 -toc -report_el_torito plain
>
> while the DVD is in the drive, and of
>
>   xorriso -outdev /dev/sr0 -list_profiles
>
> regardless whether the medium is loaded or not.
> (If there is more than one optical drive, the address might be /dev/sr1 or
> /dev/sr2.)
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

If this is one of the strange machines with 32 bit UEFI firmware and a 64 bit
processor - Intel Bay Trail laptop, for example - then the standard installers
have problems - as outlined - and you'd need to find the multi-arch DVD to
install from.

If you use the multi-arch netinst to isntall a minimal Debian, you can always
then use 64 bit DVDs to add packages with apt-cdrom.

Hope this helps, all the very best,

Andy Cater