Dimitri wrote:
> Thus multiarch cross tooling is not so relevant for fresh bootstraps,
> and/or targeting non-debian architectures, or otherwise incomplete
> systems (e.g. those that do not have compatible set of pre-compiled
> binaries that use multiarch-paths

I'll leave it to Helmut to talk about his existing work with bootstraps
that's been stalled by reverting this patch.

I can categorically say though that we are currently using a toolchain
built this way on Jessie before it was broken by this change, both for
embedded systems that do run Debian, and for microcontrollers that
couldn't possibly run it (memory measured in kB, no MMU).  It works
just fine for all of those cases.

The *only* problem we have at present is that we can no longer update
the Jessie systems this was being done on, because our ability to do
this was removed and there appears to be no actually working replacement
for it.

> Can we all settle and move these developments to experimental
> targeting for stretch, instead?

Nobody is suggesting that other options can't be, or shouldn't be,
explored for post-Jessie.  Restoring the functionality that existed
before this was removed will not in any way prevent or hinder that,
it just means we won't repeat the sad state of Wheezy where this
became no longer possible at all.

Nothing you said here explains why we can't have the best of both
worlds with this.  If having this working for Jessie is "not so
relevant" to you, that's fine - but it's very relevant to quite a
few other people and was working for them until a few weeks ago
when support for it was simply removed.

We have people prepared to do the work to keep it working.
What we don't have is an explanation of what it actually broke,
if anything, to warrant removing it, without comment or warning,
at this late stage of the Jessie release.

  Ron