On 21 November 2014 at 19:21, Sam Hartman <hartm...@debian.org> wrote:

>     Dimitri> Comparing squeeze and jessies - have things regressed? if
>     Dimitri> yes, how?  As far as I expect, the way one uses debian
>     Dimitri> source packaging to produce cross toolchains has not
>     Dimitri> changed, nor has been affected by changes in jessie, in
>     Dimitri> comparison to squeeze.
>
> Can you give a pointer to documentation of this--the mechanism that
> works in squeeze and jessie?
> From the IRC conversation today I think the answer *may* be no that's
> not written up anywhere, but I'm
> not sure.

Generally rebuilding cross variants of a given toolchain package are
documented inside the said toolchain package as additional interfaces
a said source package supports.

Binutils:
(wheezy) http://sources.debian.net/src/binutils/2.22-8/debian/README.cross/
(jessie)
http://sources.debian.net/src/binutils/2.24.51.20140411-2.1/debian/README.cross/

Linux (can use any):
make deb-pkg, targets upstreamed can be used to create cross header packages

Other toolchain libraries:
most of them support cross-building in a standard way, that is by
setting DEB_HOST_* variables
dpkg-architecture -aarmhf -c dpkg-buildpackage -b -> to cross-compile
most packages for a different target OS, armhf in this example

gcc:
(wheezy) http://sources.debian.net/src/gcc-4.7/4.7.2-5/debian/README.cross/
(jessie) http://sources.debian.net/src/gcc-4.8/4.8.3-13/debian/README.cross/

Fundamentally the standard way to build cross-compilers from debian
sources remained the same and is not broken in any way.
The documentation has existed, and still exists, and is still supported...

--
Regards,

Dimitri.