This particular issue in dpkg is very much known and nothing new (a short recap: dpkg can lose files if files are moved between packages *and* symlinked directores, such as / and /usr, at the same time).

To mitigate it, bluca added a piuparts check which rejects packages that move files from / to /usr (for bookworm/sid). This is overly conservative as strictly speaking, we'd only have to be careful of packages that move files from / to /usr and between packages within one release cycle. I.e. it would be perfectly fine to move files for / to /usr if during a release cycle those files aren't moved between packages. I suspect this will be a rare case, that said definitely something to be aware of if we don't get a fixed dpkg.

Fwiw, once all files are moved to /usr, the dpkg bug is no longer really relevant.

So, I think there isn't any new information here in #1020792 which would warrant a halt.

Regards,
Michael