On Tue, 2022-09-27 at 18:25 +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> On 2022-09-27 Zack Weinberg <z...@owlfolio.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > What I am asking for is a schedule change: specifically, that the
> > merged /usr transition not be allowed to proceed past the status
> > quo as of two weeks ago (i.e. *before* init-system-helpers added a
> > dependency on usrmerge|usr-is-merged) until after the dpkg bugs are
> > fixed to the satisfaction of the dpkg maintainers.
> [...]
>
> Hello Zack,
>
> Afaiui the only thing the change two weeks caused is an increased
> percentage of usrmerged Debian installations.
>
> Afaict the problem is unchanged: There is a very large number of
> usrmerged systems (every system installed with bullseye installer or
> newer unless some very specific steps were taken to avoid this) which
> are prone to bugs due to dpkg not having been changed *first*. This
> number is of usrmerged systems is so large that we cannot mark them
> as unsupported ("Please reinstall"). Whether this percentage is 25%
> or 90% does not matter.

You can easily revert any system having usrmerge installed with dpkg-
fsys-usrunmess. This should be known by all Debian users, by some
suitable channel.

And for example the latest init-system-helpers release should add this
to the package description (if not reverted). This applies to other
present and future packages having usrmerge as a dependency too.

Thanks!