Le mardi 24 avril 2007 à 12:58 +0200, Reinhard Tartler a écrit :
> Ben Hutchings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Installing debugging symbols for all binaries involved in a crash
> > seems... heavyweight.  I would expect the user to want to get on with
> > his or her work at this point.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be better - in terms of response rate - to take a
> > "minidump" (along the lines of Windows error reporting or Mozilla's
> > Quality Feedback Agent) and do symbol lookup on some central server?
>
> isn't this quite similar to what ubuntu is doing with Apport?
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport

Apport sends complete core dumps, which is a very bad idea. The dumps
can be huge (for desktop applications they often grow beyond 200MB) and
they can contain gazillions of sensitive information.

Using a central server for symbol lookup like Ben proposed looks like a
better idea. It needs gdb to be adapted or wrapped to access them
correctly, though.

--
 .''`.