Hi All,

On szo, 2013-08-24 at 17:40 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog writes ("Re: Introducing dgit - git integration with the
> Debian archive"):
> > This is wrong on so many levels...
>
> I don't think we are going to agree.  I stand by the description in
> the dgit manpage.

I agree with you, that quilt format is not as intuitive and
straightforward as it should be.

But I'm afraid that if we try to do it in any better way we will invite
the quilt format. :(

I see the following goals of the quilt format:

1. The orig.tar.gz should not be touched in any way.
2. ANY patch that touch the upstream files (ie. files outside of debian
directory) should be easily reproducible, recognisable and well
described
3. This patches ideally will be merged upstream, so drooping one of it
should be easy.
4. Of course if upstream change something we should follow. So this
patches should be easily changeable too.

Anyway.

I like this format very much because with this format the debian
directory in the orig.tar.gz is uninteresting. And with this mode I can
easily follow the upstream changes and merge it to the master branch
without fearing of conflicts. And I'm able to update all my patches in a
separate branch and merge it back to the master branch when it needed.