On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 01:57:08PM +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:

> eth0 will be kept on upgrades, but new installs get new interface names
> (that is good, that removed unpredictability if you add a new network card.)

Interface names are, unfortunately, as unpredictable in stretch as they
were in jessie, just unpredictable in a different way. Now network names
are decided based on bus topology or MAC address. Bus topology however
is not something that is as predictable as you might think, and some
network cards just don't have a fixed MAC address. Bus topology might
change if you just move a card from one slot to the next, or as I've
experienced myself, when nothing in the hardware changes, but a BIOS
update causes enumeration to happen differently.

At least the interface names in jessie were shorter, and you had a good
chance that eth0 was exactly what you wanted :)

      Guus Sliepen <g...@debian.org>