On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 07:11:58PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jul 10, Adam Borowski <kilob...@angband.pl> wrote:
>
> > Predictability is important, thus let's actually have _predictable_
> > interface names.  The kernel default, eth0 and wlan0, is good enough for
> > most users, why not keep that?  Even just ignoring the issue completely
> Because you cannot know how many interfaces a system has until all of
> them will have appeared.
> Please stop beating this long time dead horse.

The problem is, that horse's replacement has just received a yet another
black mark, this time stretch-sized.  At this time I'd say even no horse at
all is way better than "predictable" random names.  The "no horse" solution
has the benefit of working better in 95% cases, the remaining ones being
very well correlated with expected admin skills.

Another potential horse would be to take current "predictable" output and
feeding it to a state file: that would fix at a good part (but not all) of
problems we have.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ A dumb species has no way to open a tuna can.