Hi,

[...]
> 4) If the real goal is reduce the size of minbase, there is a much
> more effective thing we can do first, or at least, in parallel.  And
> that is to move the l10n files to a separate foo-l10n package.  The
> last time I did this analysis was with Debian Jessie, but I don't
> think the numbers have changed that much.  Of the 201 MB i386 minbase
> chroot, 33MB, or over 16% can be found in /usr/local/locale.  The
> breakdown (using Debian Jessie numbers) are:
[...]
> P.S.  In case it isn't obvious, the reason why it's interesting to
> shrink the size of minbase is that it makes Debian much lighter-weight
> for Docker --- you don't need e2fsck or mke2fs in most docker
> containers based on Docker; neither do you need the translations into
> Turkish, German, Spanish, Chinese, etc., for e2fsprogs, coreutils,
> dpkg, etc., for most Docker containers.

There is another way to trim the locales: Use dpkg's "--path-exclude=".

This also allows one to keep some locales. This is what we use at work
[1]. The problem is that debootstrap doesn't handle those options, so
we need to hack a bit [2].

[1]:
https://github.com/nantesmetropole/docker-debian/blob/master/templates/etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/01_save-space
[2]: