On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 11:59:46AM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> But if you really are focused on getting to Essential: no, and not
> necessarily changing the priority field, that certainly is a much more
> easily achievable goal.

Of course, reducing minbase would be nice as well, but I agree with your
assertion that there is lower hanging fruit to achieve that. I wouldn't
rule out the super-exciting idea as a later optimization step though.

> Yeah, I think the bigger question is whether any of a reduced minbase
> needs lsattr/chattr in the first place.

That's a very good question. You'll notice that packages such as
resolvconf (lsattr/chattr), initramfs-core-tools (logsave) or
initscripts (logsave) rely on e2fsprogs. Yet, I did find cases where
removing e2fsprogs (with --allow-remove-essential) works. But the
--allow-remove-essential flag feels super-exciting. :-(

> To to be clear, the key metric for your specific goal is the reduction
> of the _source_ package count since the goal is to reduce the number
> of packages which have to be built by "hand" (or by script), before
> you can create a sbuild/pbuild build chroot, correct?

Correct. Unless I am mistaken, removing e2fsprogs from the build set
also removes fuse.

Helmut