On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 12:38:55AM +0100, Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo wrote:
> Lately architectures tend to use automatic bootstrapping at least for
> some of the initial dependencies.  Adding support for build profiles
> (would be something like pkg.e2fsprogs.nofuse in this case) can help to
> build just by using env variables when invoking dpkg-buildpackage or
> other build tools.
>
> Would you accept patches to achieve this in e2fsprogs?  It would
> probably be quite clean, not complicating/obfuscating the packaging
> files too much, usually only 2~10 lines (but I didn't look specifically
> into this package yet).

Sure.  The debian/rules.custom support that I put in predates the
Debian build profiles spec, but it's basically the same idea.  So it
should be pretty simple to migrate things to use the build profile
concept; it's just a matter of wiring up things slightly differently
in debian/rules.

I haven't looked at build profiles spec super-closely yet, but since
it looks like there is core infrastructural support for it in dpkg,
debhelpers, and friends, it's no longer necessary to run
debian/control.in through m4 to generate debian/control (which is how
I did things sans dpkg support).

Send me a patch, either sent to linux-e...@vger.kernel.org, or as
Debian bug, and I'll happily take it.

My only real concern is whether this might complicate building the
latest version of e2fsprogs for stable and old-stable for
debian-backports.

Cheers,

                                                - Ted