On Sunday 2023-06-18 23:37, Rob Landley wrote:

>On 6/18/23 14:58, Rene Engelhard wrote:
>>> Three years ago Samba maintainer Jeremy Allison lamented that "Both GPLv3
>>> and
>>> the AGPL have been rejected soundly by most developers" and talked about
>>> how he
>>> regretted the move and the damage it had done to the project,
>>> https://archive.org/details/copyleftconf2020-allison
>>
>> Can we please talk about the actual issue at and - that is not the license.
>
>The issue is the number of developers engaging with this package have declined
>to the point problems have gone unnoticed and unfixed for a long time.

That may be a general problem not specific to Libreoffice, or any
one particular project.

As software grows to accomodate more features, it reaches a size
where it is "good enough" for users that they no longer feel a need
to invest time anymore as their needs are already satisfied, while at
the same time, it has become so large for others to not want to touch
it anymore.

Chromium sucks to touch. On the other hand, the Linux kernel has
evermore developers each round, and Linux distros have more packages
than ever before. So not all seems to be bad? Modularization seems
key, and that may just be what separates projects.