On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 07:35:49PM -0500, David Turner wrote:
> Per-project changelogs have always been considered to be compliant with
> (2)(a) -- nothink says the markings must be in the files themselves.

That's news to me.  I even asked RMS about it and he said he'd have
to think about it.  This was a few years ago and I never heard back,
so I figured he was still thinking.  (This was in the context of
suggestions for GPLv3.)

So you think that an entry in a separate changelog counts as "to carry
prominent notices"?  What do you base that on?  Carrying is generally
done by the carrier, and I note that GPL 2a specifically refers to
"the modified files", where everywhere else it speaks of "modified
work" or "modified program".

Richard Braakman