On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 20:21, Richard Braakman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 07:35:49PM -0500, David Turner wrote:
> > Per-project changelogs have always been considered to be compliant with
> > (2)(a) -- nothink says the markings must be in the files themselves.
>
> That's news to me.  I even asked RMS about it and he said he'd have
> to think about it.  This was a few years ago and I never heard back,
> so I figured he was still thinking.  (This was in the context of
> suggestions for GPLv3.)

I just suggested an alternate wording for GPLv3 to him, Brad, and Eben
because of your last message.  I hope my patch will be accepted.

But Changelogs are what most GNU programs do, anyway.

> So you think that an entry in a separate changelog counts as "to carry
> prominent notices"?  What do you base that on?  Carrying is generally
> done by the carrier, and I note that GPL 2a specifically refers to
> "the modified files", where everywhere else it speaks of "modified
> work" or "modified program".

It's fuzzy enough that I think Changelogs match what's required, but
also fuzzy enough that I want to clarify it.

--
-Dave Turner                     Stalk Me: 617 441 0668

"On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters
of principle, stand like a rock." -Thomas Jefferson