On 3/17/06, Walter Landry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > If he is using it for all future modifications, then it _is_ the
> > > preferred form for modification.
> >
> > I don't know of any C compilers which will accept word documents.
>
> The C code is part of the document.  He does not plan to run it
> through a compiler.  He may want to just give it out to students.

If he's the only author in question, GPLed rights don't matter --
he owns the copyright.

If it's someone else's GPL'd C code, then in your hypothetical example,
he's supposed provide source to his students should they ask for it.

> > > A Word document is never Transparent.  From the GFDL:
> > >
> > >   A "Transparent" copy of the Document means a machine-readable copy,
> > >   represented in a format whose specification is available to the
> > >   general public ...
> > >
> > > The Word format specification is not available to the public.
> >
> > You're making some sweeping generalizations here.
> >
> > There are many word documents.  There are many word document
> > formats.  There are many word document format specifications.
> >
> > Some specifications which fit some word documents are available
> > to the public.
> >
> > Others are not.
>
> Don't be silly.  I am talking about Microsoft Word.

You should follow your own advice.

Which version of Microsoft Word?

Some versions of Microsoft Word write some documents in formats
which have publicly available specifications.  This is true even when
the user has selected a "Microsoft Word" option off the drop down
that specifies the document format.

Of course, just because this is true of one document won't guarantee
it's true of another document.  Likewise, just because one version
of Word would save a document in a transparent format that doesn't
mean that a later version of Word would do likewise.

--
Raul