"Raul Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 3/26/06, Walter Landry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I can give you a simple example, however, of a case where
> > > [with caveats] word format is suitable: some drawings could
> > > be saved in some word format if the version of word in question is
> > > widely available,
> >
> > Why does it matter whether the version of word is widely available?
>
> I'm not sure why you're asking this.  Have you read the
> GFDL?  If not, try searching for the string "widely available".

Ah, yes.  I had missed that text and paint programs must be generic,
while drawing programs need only be widely available.

> If you were familiar with that part of the GFDL (it's the section
> on transparent formats), could you elaborate on what you're
> asking about?
>
> > > and if there is a command line program that
> > > will convert those drawings to postscript.
> >
> > The ability to convert the drawing to postscript (which will probably
> > be lossy) does not affect whether the original word format is
> > "Transparent".
>
> That's an interesting assertion.  But I'm not sure why I should
> believe your assertion.  Perhaps you could elaborate?

The GFDL requires you to be able to edit the transparent copy
"straightforwardly".  Requiring a separate conversion step is not
straightforward, even if it is lossless and bi-directional.  If the
editor does the conversion back and forth for you, then it is
straightforward.

> > > Another example where word format is ok to distribute
> > > involves a simple word->xml->word translation facility
> > > where both the word format and the xml format are
> > > distributed.
> >
> > If you are distributing both, then the XML file is Transparent and the
> > word file is opaque.  My point was that the word file is never
> > Transparent.  I am not saying that the word file can not be
> > distributed, but that it is never Transparent.
>
> That would depend on what kind of content is in the word file,
> wouldn't it?

I concede that if it is a drawing and that the specifications are
publicly available (which is not true for most word documents), then
it could be transparent.  So I retract the statement that the word
format is _never_ transparent.

> > > As an aside, I seem to remember a number of programs which
> > > can deal with word format to varying degrees (three that come
> > > to mind are catdoc (GPL), mswordview (GPL/LGPL) and openoffice
> > > (PDL/LGPL), but I'm sure there are others).
> >
> > Only the last one can edit the file.  The other two are lossy
> > converters.  And openoffice is definitely not a "generic text editor".
>
> I was addressing a different aspect of the GFDL's transparent
> format issue -- the part that says
>
>   ...represented in a format whose specification is available to the
>    general public...
>
> While I've not cared enough about this issue to study the format,
> there are some indications that a specification of the format
> for some word documents either is available to the public, or could
> be made available to the public.
>
> Worst case, you could read the open office source code to figure
> out how [some of] these documents are stored.

These examples give partial specifications, not full specifications.
I see no reason to read the GFDL as requiring only partial
specifications.

Cheers,
Walter Landry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]