On 3/21/06, Walter Landry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Second off, you've not convinced me that the GFDL never allows
> > the use of word format (I'll grant that such allowance would come
> > with caveats about as strong as those necessary for your
> > example).
>
> I don't quite understand what you are saying here.  Could you
> enumerate those caveats?

No, there's too many potential cases for me to enumerate all
potential caveats.

I can give you a simple example, however, of a case where
[with caveats] word format is suitable: some drawings could
be saved in some word format if the version of word in question is
widely available, and if there is a command line program that
will convert those drawings to postscript.

Another example where word format is ok to distribute
involves a simple word->xml->word translation facility
where both the word format and the xml format are
distributed.

As an aside, I seem to remember a number of programs which
can deal with word format to varying degrees (three that come
to mind are catdoc (GPL), mswordview (GPL/LGPL) and openoffice
(PDL/LGPL), but I'm sure there are others).

--
Raul