* Riley Baird <bm-2cvqnduybau5do2dfjtrn7zbaj246s4...@bitmessage.ch> [150226
08:41]:
> > * Copyright law may categorically exclude the work. This is often the
> >   case if the work was produced by the USA government, but not always.
>
> Kind of unrelated, but I just thought that I should point out that this is
> only the case for Americans. The USA government claims copyright on their
> documents in all other countries, and has actually enforced it in the past.

To make things more complicated, whether they can claim copyright
in other countries depends on the laws of those other countries.

I think it is similar to works getting public domain X years after the
death of the author. Countries differ in what X in, but they also differ
in what happend if the author is from another country: In some countries
where works are protected until X years after the death of the author
works from an author in a country where works are protected until Y
years after death are also protected for Y years. While in other
countries works are protected for X years after the death of the author
no matter how long they are protected in their home country.
(The later aproach has the disadvantage of a work becoming public domain
at different times in different places of the world while the first
approach has the disadvantage of makes it necessary for people to learn
the laws of other countries to know what is allowed in their country
and I have no idea what happens with authors that created a work while
living in both countries).

        Bernhard R. Link
--
F8AC 04D5 0B9B 064B 3383  C3DA AFFC 96D1 151D FFDC