> [...] However, your intention is to apply a non-legally enforcable
> restriction that, were it in a license, would immediately and
> obviously fail the DFSG, [...] you are trying to (non-legally) force
> Debian to adopt a licensing scheme contrary to its values.

How heated.

This is exactly like the kind request to send patches to the upstream
author, or the kind request to make a donation or otherwise support
the project.  This kind of stuff is usually accepted.

I don't see anything especially bad in a 5-users limitation. It's a
bug like a million other limitations we have. For example, in kicad I
can't make more than 12 inner layers in the PCB.  We accept it because
it's by design, but what if there were another kicad sold for profit
without such limitation?  Worse: open/libre office refuses to open on
a different display (export DISPLAY) than the first instance that has
been fired. And firefox forces me to create a different profile to
achieve that.  I find them limiting, and they are not easily patched.
Than I'm aware I'm obsolete inside and few people swear at this, but
it's similar.

The real problem is we lack sustainable commercial models for free
software.  No wonder independent developers are fewer and fewer: those
who are not employed by big corps (G, RH, LF) do free software in
their spare time after earning a living on proprietary software. And
those who insist in remaining independent are starving, unless they
are better at marketing than at developing.

I welcome this approach, because it's novel and smart. Not "defective
by design", but a simple thing to raise user's attention to a problem.
Clearly I wouldn't like being forced to rebuild this and that to make
real use of the distro.  But unless we know what this software package
is, all of this discussion is moot.

The only thing I'm sure about is that upstream has a built-in bug,
easily removable.  This bug has a novel and interesting reason to
exist, and it's unclear whether debian should fix it immediately or
later, or not fix it.  I'm disappointed about all this handwaving
about freedom, when it's just a a bug, even if on purpose.

I heard about a commercial model of making subtly bugged software and
then sell consultancy to fix those bugs when users hit them.  *that*
would be bad to have in debian, but we can't really know if some of
this exists or has been accepted.  The upstream author of this
discussion is much more clear and honest, and I respect it.

BTW, dual-licensed stuff like Qt is much more predatory than this, and
still is in main -- but I don't want to open this can of worms, it's
just as a comparison about what commercial models debian supports
(one-copyright holder, no unassigned contributions, separate
proprietary distribution channel) and what we discuss strongly about
(an upstream author who honestly claims he has completely-free
software with an easily-patched limitation in order to bring some
non-techie to support him).

thanks for reading

/alessandro, not a DD, not a lawyer, and commercially irrelevant