> The only thing I'm sure about is that upstream has a built-in bug,
> easily removable.  This bug has a novel and interesting reason to
> exist, and it's unclear whether debian should fix it immediately or
> later, or not fix it.  I'm disappointed about all this handwaving
> about freedom, when it's just a a bug, even if on purpose.

Let me take it one step further. What about if a DD introduced that
limitation into an existing software that they are maintaining, on
purpose, on the same conditions? Yeah, I know that the ethical rights
to do so are not as strong, but the legal background is the same, and
the business model would also be the same, right?

I wouldn't like worsening the overall quality of the operating system,
or the service to our users, to promote particular business models
that are flawed from design, and that build essentially not on
providing added value, but on extorting and blackmailing users who do
not have enough technical knowledge to remove the limitations
themselves.

Greetings,
Miry