    Russ> with a narrower issue).  Several other people were, I think,
    Russ> arguing for (a), but I'm not sure if they would continue to do
    Russ> so when it's put in these terms.

It's hard for me to express what I was advocating for in the terms you
have adopted.
I think you've  advanced the discussion significantly by making it clear
where the difficulty is, which will help me focus my argument.

    Russ> If someone wants to argue for (a) or (c), I think the biggest
    Russ> problem with either of them is an enforcement mechanism.

My problem with (b) is that I value interfaces and that  especially for
/bin/sh I do think that /bin/sh is more portable as an interface path
than /usr/bin/sh.
I care a lot that we use /bin/sh in our documentation and examples
(especially in policy).
I care a lot that we point out that the reality of the situation is
people  will see other paths.
At least for things traditionally in /bin I do not want to encourage
those other paths, but I also don't think it is often a good use of
project resources to "fix" those other paths.
In some cases (for example what version of a path autoconf detects), I
think that patching individual packages to detect a particular path
would be net harmful.

So I want to argue for (a) with no  enforcement mechanism in packages.

1) Policy should encourage /bin paths for binaries traditionally in
/bin. (At a minimum I'd like to see this for /bin/sh and /bin/bash).
That at most makes it a minor bug if you don't follow that
encouragement.

2) The examples in policy should use the standard interface paths.
(This is the thing I care most about).

3) I'd like to see policy point out that /usr/bin paths will end up
being used, and packages SHOULD work regardless of which path is used.

I think there are some complexities here.  Imagine someone writes a tool
to determine if something is a shell script.  If it's security
sensitive, I think it is important that it work both for /bin/sh and
/usr/bin/sh.

If it's a syntax highlighting program and it only detects
/bin/sh as a valid shell script, I'd be okay if the maintainer didn't
want to fix it but instead said "fix your shell scripts if they say
/usr/bin/sh."  (I think the maintainer would be doing a better job if
they supported both).  But I would not be comfortable with a syntax
highlighting tool pushing people toward /usr/bin/sh.