Bill Allombert <ballo...@debian.org> writes:

> One of the issue in the past is that reproducible build was broken
> because different build environment lead to different paths. We at least
> need to address that.

I believe the reproducible build problem specifically will be largely
fixed by /usr-merging the buildds so that they look like all other Debian
systems.  I suspect the problems that you ran into in the past were
precisely because some systems on which the package was built were
/usr-merged and others were not.  But you make a good point that just
because the /bin and /usr/bin paths both work does not mean that package
build systems can pick randomly between them, since that undermines build
reproducibility.  They need to pick one or the other consistently.

I do think packages should be allowed to do a PATH search, and it's up to
the people doing a reproducible build to make sure the PATH stays
consistent from one build to the next.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>