Luca Boccassi <bl...@debian.org> writes:
> On Wed, 13 Sept 2023 at 04:48, Russ Allbery <r...@debian.org> wrote:

>> Simon pointed out that this bug is not yet ready to act on, which was
>> very helpful.  Thank you.  However, presumably the buildds will be
>> /usr-merged at some point in the not-too-distant future, and we do need
>> to decide what to do after that point.

> While that could be said for the original revision, in my view that's
> not really the case for the latest that I posted?

> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1051371#120

> So I would prefer if this was a clone rather than a retitle/repurpose.
> Unless I'm missing something, the changes linked above should be
> uncontroversial and simply remove excessively normative language in what
> are essentially examples that should have been taken as such - and that
> currently are not. So, could that be taken forward independently of the
> problem you define below?

I believe it would be an error to move Policy away from explicitly saying
/bin/sh as long as we have unmerged systems.  For as long as we have to
support unmerged systems, which includes the buildds because quite a
surprising range of packages end up needing to be installed on buildds
during package builds, packages must use /bin/sh and may not use
/usr/bin/sh.

This is not currently explicit in Policy because previously it wasn't
necessary.  Packages using /usr/bin/sh would simply not work, thus forcing
the issue.  But right now, if we were writing Policy from scratch, we
would need to explicitly say that using /bin/sh is a must in order to
avoid breaking the buildds, since /usr/bin/sh would appear to work locally
and then potentially cause weird problems during package builds.  (Ideally
build failure, but a lot of strange things can happen when paths are
missing during a build.)

Presumably this is getting fixed in short order, so it's not worth the
intermediate Policy change to add that language only to remove it again.
But similarly, I don't think it's correct to relax Policy language about
the /bin/sh path for as long as using /usr/bin/sh is potentially a
release-critical bug.

Obviously this all becomes moot as soon as the buildds are /usr-merged.

> I think b would work out fine, but if we want to start being normative
> then it probably would make more sense to go for the new layout rather
> than the old. It would seem strange to have lived with the old layout
> and no rule, and suddenly add a rule for the old layout just as it has
> been phased out, no?

The reason why this is not strange to me (which is not to say that this is
my personal preference) is that previously we had a rule requiring /bin/sh
enforced by a much harsher mechanism than Policy:  using /usr/bin/sh would
simply break.  So we *did* have a de facto rule, which we implicitly
dropped by doing /usr-merge, and the debate is whether to replace it with
a de jure rule.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>