> I wouldn't go so far and see documentation as software. Apart from that
> I agree that it is important to clarify what one can do with this
> documentation (quote, modify, redistribute, etc.) and under which rules
> this has to happen. For example, when I quote a paragraph of the
> documentation in an email, do I have to provide a copy of the GPL along
> with the quote? Because technically I redistribute parts of that work.

This is a topic for debian-legal not debian-pyhton. Discuss it with them
(after looking at the archive), as they are the experts. If there are
problems (= results) that can be brought here again.

--Adam

P.S.: the GPL can be used for any type of work:
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLOtherThanSoftware

P.P.S. (Terminology):
    Software = not Hardware
    Software != Executable