anatoly techtonik <techto...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Ben Finney <ben+deb...@benfinney.id.au>
> wrote:
> > Why is it ridiculous? Is it any more ridiculous to put a policy
> > document under GPL than any other document?
>
> It is in the same ridiculous for other document. It is ridiculous in
> the way people want to hide, skip or complicate things. GPL clearly
> doesn't suit "works" that are not binary, nor source code, that are
> organized for storage in classic real world libraries.

It's not clear that the GPL doesn't suit such works. The Debian policy
is software with source code: the DocBook source document.

I don't know what “organised for storage in classic real world
libraries” has to do with the software form of a work, which is all we
need to consider for the license of a work in Debian.

> 1. What am I free to do with with GPL'ed policy text?

View it, examine its source code, modify it, and/or redistribute it
under the same license terms.

> 2. Are you sure about that?

Yes. The GPL grants those freedoms.

> > Why do you want specific justification for choosing the GPL?
>
> Just because I believe it is chosen blindly.

I believe it is a deliberate choice on the part of the copyright holders
in the work.

> Why do you need policy license at all?

Because it is a work covered by copyright. By default, without a
license, recipients of a work covered by copyright have no freedom to
demand source code, modify, and/or redistribute. These freedoms are
necessary for works in Debian, therefore a free-software license is
needed for the work.

> > What specific problems do you see from choosing the GPL for a work,
> > and why should those problems concern us in this case?
>
> One specific problem is that nobody understands what do you mean when
> releasing something that is not software under GPL.

The Debian policy is digital information, therefore it is software (as
opposed to hardware).

Perhaps you mean “something that is not a program”.

> It can simply be deemed invalid in court and usual copyright rules
> apply. In this case it can be sought like the freedom authors choose
> to express their opinions about what did they meant later. You do not
> license for that.

I don't know what would lead you to think the GPL would be deemed
invalid for the Debian policy more than any other software work.

> I still have no idea why Policy authors have chosen GPL

Perhaps, then, you should not assert they have chosen the GPL blindly.

Bastian Venthur <vent...@debian.org> writes:

> Quoting the second paragraph from the copyright notice:
>
> "This manual is free software; you can redistribute it..."
>
> so this *manual* is free *software*. Really?!

Yes. Software is digital information. Manuals, stored as digital
information, are software.

The GPL has terms that are specific to executable software, but works
fine as a license for software that happens not to be executable.

Now, in the absence of a specific problem with applying the GPL to the
software work that is the Debian policy, I don't think there's any more
need to call for changing it.

--
 \           “People are very open-minded about new things, as long as |
  `\         they're exactly like the old ones.” —Charles F. Kettering |